Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Glory


I liked the story of how the first african american unit was formed, because I enjoy civil war history but I didn’t know anything about the Massachusetts infantry. I didn’t like all the violence and fighting, I wish there was less of it and more focus on the story and history. I also didn’t like the ending because I was upset at all the deaths and how Shaw died, but of course that couldn’t be fixed because it was based on a true story. The movie honestly made me feel very pissed off at people who didn’t believe blacks could fight. I think that we shouldn’t prevent people who are willing to fight for their country, and that the paranoia of blacks fighting and using guns seemed very idiotic to me. I understand it was a different time, but it made me very passionate against racism towards the black soldiers. I liked Shaw, especially the way Matthew Broderick portrayed him, and Denzel Washington and Morgan Freeman when they played Silas Trip and John Rawlins. I liked how Shaw didn’t give up on his Infantry and pushed them to fight and helped train them and believed that they had a right to fight for their country despite the color of their skin. I think the moral of the story is that everyone deserves a chance to fight for something they’re passionate about, as long as they’re brave enough to, just like the Massachusetts infantry felt. I wouldn’t recommend this particularly, just because it was very historical and a bit dull, but if you want to see an accurate portrayal of the Massachusetts infantry I would definitely recommend it. I think that this relates to issues today because I believe that racism still exists in our country and in that there are still some narrow minded people that don’t think blacks should have rights. For instance, the Trayvon Martin case was centered around whether he was considered a threat just because of the color of his skin, sparking a racism centered debate. I do think that we’ve come a long way from the Civil War but I still think racism exists today and it’s about time we stop it. I think some of the major themes include bravery, courage, trust, and tolerance. The way Shaw was able to trust and encourage his men to fight and be prepared showed the disappearing portrayal of white men during the civil war.
I think that most men and women that fight for their country do it because they are passionate about a cause and want to do as much as they can to defend their country. When you are extremely passionate about something nothing, not even the fear of dying can keep you from taking action. I have never felt that way about anything before yet, so it is hard for me to relate. I believe that the people who serve are country are brave and a great example to good and dedicated Americans. The men of 54th Massachusetts are heros because despite all the discrimination they were exhibiting during that time they were still willing to die for their country. While Shaw was able to lead them in doing so develop loyalty and trust with his Infantry, where most white men and some white Union soldiers refused to help. Shaw serves as a great example of tolerance and a great leader to his men. 
The significance of the story centers around how not only did White men fight for their country during the Civil War, but black men did too. In having the ability to defend their Union, african americans were able to gain more respect, and some of the White northerners learned about tolerance. I think the ending, where the confederates refused to give the union soldiers a proper burial was disgusting yet significant because it portrayed the view of black soldiers and those who led them during that time. It showed how paranoid some white people were during that time and didn’t trust letting blacks fight for the same country they fought for. It shows how as long as you are passionate about something, you should be able to act, no matter what color your skin is. 

3 comments:

  1. By reading Kara's post, I can tell that we both felt the same things regarding racism following this movie. I find it ridiculous that anyone who would volunteer to fight and risk their life for their country would be denied that right due to the color of their skin. It was especially courageous for the men of the 54th to volunteer due to the fact that the country they were putting their lives on the line for had treated them so poorly. I do disagree, though, with Kara's view of Shaw. I had very mixed feelings about Shaw and was confused about his stance throughout the movie. At the beginning, he was treating the soldiers terribly, especially during the scene where the one soldier was being whipped and he simply allowed it to happen. I understand that he was trying to make them tough, but I think sometimes the actions he took with the men would've been different had they been white. But later on in the movie I did see that he truly cared for the soldiers, so I do agree with Kara near the end of the movie. I was just confused as to when he became passionate about the men of the 54th because it seemed like he had no respect for them earlier on. Overall, I thought Glory was a good movie for anyone who would be interested in learning about this topic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. After reading your post, what i wrote about relates to yours because it talks about the issue of racism and anyone who is willing to fight for a country should never be denied because a bunch of people don't want to so shutting down on someone because of their color is completely wrong in many many ways.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shaw is an interesting man, particularly in the scene described by Samantha. I think it actually showed his understanding, although harshly, of the plight of the men of the 54th. Being treated as equals was their desire, both in good and in bad. Nice post...and comment Samantha!

    ReplyDelete