Monday, March 3, 2014

Miracle

I really liked Miracle, because it connected something that we all love, the USA olympic team, to an important time in history, the Cold War. I thought that Herb Brooks was portrayed greatly, but why was it so important that the US beat the Soviet Union? I feel like it might've been overdramatized a bit, but then again I didn't live in that time so I have no idea. The movie made me feel proud to be an American and it made me have more respect for Olympic athletes, espessially hockey players. Because they go through so much training, yet they might not even be playing in the Olympics! It gave me a greater idea on how serious the conflict between the Soviets and Americans were at that time. It made me wonder why was this so important? It's just a hockey game. Obviously it would be great if America wins but it's not the end of the world. Like in the movie everyone was putting so much pressure on Herb to win against the Russians, why was it such a big conflict? I really liked Herb's assistant coach, Craig, he was smart and I think that he connected with the players well. Also I liked the hockey players because they became and even admitted that after working together being strangers then training for the olympics they became a family. The moral of the story would be to never underestimate the underdog, because America was the underdog against the Russians and even ended up winning gold. I would deffenetly recommend this to others, espessially NHL fans. This applies to today because with the Winter Sochi Olympics going on we had similar conflicts. The Russians living quarters for the athletes were horrible, and there's still tension between Russia and The U.S., just not as serious as it was back then. I think some of the themes include the cold war, its effect on culture, and how serious it was at the time. The "Miracle on Ice" was when the US Hockey team beat the favored Russian Hockey team during the height of the Cold War. The Cold War was a silent war between the US and Russia that took place during the majority of the 20th century. It took place during the 70's, where the Cold War was heatening up. When Iran held American diplomats hostage, Jimmy Carter boycotted the Summer Olympics, so this was a very serious conflict between the two countries. I think the only event that can relate to this conscience on the American public would be 9/11. Because just like the paranoia in the Cold War, many americans experienced paranoia during this tragic event. Security was tightened, americans became more distrustful of strangers, our relations with the middle east have been weakened, and conflict between the middle east and America has risen.

No comments:

Post a Comment